Thursday, June 28, 2007

HR 2892

In browsing my one of my favorite IVF boards, I came upon this thread in regards to the proposed Family Building Act of 2007, which could potentially mandate coverage for millions of currently uninsured infertiles (there's a lot of information as to how to lobby, in case you're a newbie).

I thank God every day that I live in one of the few states that requires insurance companies to cover infertility, and I know that if I weren't so lucky the dream of a family would be unreachable to Sean and I, since we could never afford to pay out of pocket for any of the tests, procedures and treatments throughout the past four years. There are so many of you out there who read this blog who go through that hell every day of your lives.............now, it's your chance to make a difference.

Lobby your congressperson. Let your voices be heard. Even if you're done building your families, or if you've decided to go on child-free....do it for every one of us, and for those who are as yet undiagnosed with this horrible disease.

Congress-make HR 2892 become Law! Let this country know that infertility IS a disease and should have the same coverage as any healthcare issue!

4 comments:

Caba said...

Lucky you ... I'm in NJ too, but there are a bunch of exceptions, and I didn't get my IVF covered. I actually know very few women that are covered under the Family Building Law.

Harry Somers said...

Glad you're in a state that covers infertility treatments and totally agree: infertility should be treated like broken arms and ear infections. Side note: I wanted to let you know I awarded you a Rockin Girl Blog Award since I've been enjoying your blog so much. You can check it out here: Rockin Girl Blogger Award

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug. Although my insurance if great, I am covered ~zero~ for fertility. Just a simple IUI cycle costs me $750 out of pocket.

DebbieDo said...

Thank you so much for this post. I had no idea there were states out there that even covered IF treatments. I am off to lobby for CA.

Thank you, thank you, thank you....I may just move back to Jersey!