Sunday, January 30, 2005

A speedbump on the road to parenthood

So........

I had my post-op appointment this past Wednesday, had my cycle day 3 bloodwork (that's where they check all my hormones) and a baseline ultrasound (what I and my IF chatgroup fondly call the "dildocam"), and a cyst was found on my left ovary. Now, that in itself isn't too horrible, since I have no pain from it, but it puts the kabosh on trying to start my first in-vitro cycle next month-apparently the stimulation drugs would cause the cyst to grow, possibly burst, and I probably wouldn't develop any good eggies on that side. So, I go back to the RE next week, and, next month, after almost three years, I get to go back on birth-control pills (woo-HOO) to see if they can shrink the cyst, and then, assuming it's gone, start all the lovely injectible drugs-so now we're talking about March into April. It isn't the end of the world, I know, but I had totally psyched myself up to getting this first cycle done immediately, and it's a bit of a let down. Ah, well, shit happens, I suppose........

We also got to take home a DVD and a videotape about injectible medications-how to prepare the meds, how to inject them-so that we're a bit more prepared for the class we have to take to learn to give the shots. My husband kept cringing at it, especially during the intramuscular (IM) shots, which are given right in the ass (and not by me, either-that shot requires two people to do). He finally told me that he didn't think that he'd be able to do it-he'd be too afraid that he'd fuck something up. Hey, at least he's being honest, and, truth be told, if he's that nervous perhaps I wouldn't want him around me, especially holding a two-inch needle in his hand and about to stick it in my ass like a dartboard. Thank God that my mother, mother-in law, and best friend are all nurses.

I also went back to work last Tuesday (we had a snow day on Monday-yay!), and was exhausted by Friday-I tried to make an effort to take it easy, but it's not that simple, especially when you're teaching all day. Everyone was so nice to me though-I hate missing so much work for these damn doctor appointments, but everyone (including my supervisor) said the same thing to me-your health should be your priority, what I'm going through is so much more important than any job, and that I need to create as stress-free an environment as possible for myself. So, I'm trying to take their advice, but it ain't easy, that's for sure......

I've decided to name the cyst Mr. Buzzkill, or Mr. B for short (and yes, it's male) because it's always good to know your enemy, and he will be vanquished!! ah HAHAHAHA...........

No comments: