Sunday, March 09, 2008

Stims, Day 7-Slow and Steady Wins the Race?

I've been staying on my 100iu of Follistim/10iu of Lupron for the past six nights. At my monitoring appointment this morning, after seeing my follicle count (three or four at 15mm, then a shitload less than 10) and being told that I'm to be seen daily from this point on, I asked how my E2 levels looked. Dr. C told me that it was over 400, which she was happy about, but she knew that this is the part of my cycle where my E2 levels start to take off, so she wants to be very cautious from this point on.

She must have made an accurate prediction, since the call from the nurse informed me that I need to reduce my Follistim to 75iu, stay on the same dose of Lupron, and that they'd see me in the office tomorrow morning.

Now, I did ask her this past week about the PCOS comment she made at my suppression check, and had a VERY interesting conversation. Apparently, I'm on the "PCOS spectrum", as far as BIC is concerned. I may get AF every month, however, my cycles tend to be on the longer side, I have gained weight that has seemed to collect around my midsection, have had some hair grow in odd places since I stopped birth control almost six years ago, the acne, and my ovaries present in a "classic" polycystic pattern (called PCO-polycystic ovaries), especially when stimmed (like now). Great, right? So, I asked her why nobody has ever explained this to me in the gazillion years we've been TTC, and she said that, with PCOS, not everyone has the "classic" signs of PCOS-you can have a few of the symptoms that could easily be explained away by other things. Unfortunately, for me, my ovaries and the way they react to Lupron and FSH are the main sign-my ovaries kind of looked like this at my supression check.

It freaks me out that, after all this time, my shitty ovaries are part (perhaps a BIG part) of the problem. It's looking like it ain't my shitty tube that's the issue, but my ovaries going haywire. I'm trying to get as much information about PCO as I can. It does make sense to me, though, so I'm not disagreeing with it at the moment.

I'm just hoping that this doesn't get all fucked up-that this cycle will be the right ingredients of science and luck. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Let's hope so.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, just read your post. I wouldn't stress about the 'new' diagnosis. PCOs is a clinical diagnosis and it's almost impossible to disprove. I usually have none of the symptoms except being anovolatory, but have always been classed as PCOs (although being on bcps can prevent some of the more unusual symptoms like hair growth, especially when taken long term). It's also not a particularly useful diagnosis. In IF they tend to treat each problem separately. It's definitely useful to know, but I wouldn't stress if the terms change depending on the doctor.

K said...

If it is PCO, then its good they know, as it will change your protocol. I have it, and we definitely stimmed slower so that even though there were fewer eggs the hope was they would be better eggs...and not a bunch of baked ones. Best of luck!

Morrisa said...

I am so sorry about the possible PCOS diagnosis. But it is always better to know what you are dealing with in the long run. I believe knowing that you have PCOS can make a tremendous impact on the treatment you are given and the way you are evaluated. Again, I'm no expert, just someone who suffers from PCOS who knows it can change the way your doctor treats you and the way you live your life. Good luck!

Shelli said...

dude! It's like calling the tv repairman over because the tv won't work, and you think it's the cable, but someone tripped over the cord, unplugging it.

I HOPE and pray that this new revelation is what makes things stick, and work, finally.

love you.

Thalia said...

How extraordinary to just find this out now. Is it worth asking your doc if it's worth you going on metformin?