Monday, May 02, 2005

The dreaded follow-up

I saw the RE on Friday afternoon about my failed IVF cycle, and we discussed different options.

I ended up having Grade 1 8-celled embryos that were transferred-they were, as far as the lab were concerned, considered perfect. Apparently not perfect enough to implant and actually grow, but that's another story. I asked the RE if having OHSS had anything to do with the failure, and he said no, that people who get OHSS are more likely to get pregnant, which didn't make me feel any better. He was very nice and sensitive about the situation, though. Since I have fairly normal cycles, he suggested having a natural-cycle Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET for you acronym nerdies) in July-the "natural-cycle" meaning that I don't have to take any more fertility medications-thank GOD. So in June I get to have a "mock cycle" where they take blood at different points and make sure that my hormone levels are normal enough to be able to do this without taking more fertility drugs. Hopefully my body will cooperate.

I did let the RE know that I hadn't gotten my period yet, which he was concerned about. So concerned, in fact, that he made me go for another blood pregnancy test yesterday (as if the first one wasn't enough). Of course, it was still negative (surprise!) and my progesterone was at 0.5, so they gave me a prescription for Provera to take so I get my period (oh goody!). I have no idea what's going on with my body right now, and it frustrates me to no end.

I just wish that they had more answers for me as to why it didn't work. Of course, realistically, there is no real answer-everything went well, as far as IVF goes. Just as with doing it the old-fashioned way, there's no guarantee that it will work right away.

But I need answers-I crave them. Maybe it would make this whole nightmare easier to accept.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

God it sucks that you have to go through all of this. Before the big loss I had no idea that women had to go through all of this crap. It's supposed to be so easy, right? I'm sorry. I am hoping and hoping that the next one works for you.