Wednesday, April 20, 2005


Wow, it's been awhile, huh?

There's been so much that's happened since my last post, so I'll try to catch y'all up on everything...

I went for my egg retrieval on April the 8th. It was actually pretty easy-they started the IV, had me sign my life away, and, after about an hour wait (my RE was running late-sheesh!) I went in, they put me out and I was in la-la land. I awoke to the RE and the OR staff telling me that they got 17 eggs-wow! I was a bit crampy afterwards, not too bad though-like having period cramps, so I went home and crashed.

Then all hell broke loose.

I started retaining fluid-a LOT of it-on Saturday. Enough for me to call the RE to see if it was normal. He told me that if I was peeing and drinking a lot, it wasn't a problem, but if my output wasn't matching my input, then we need to worry about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). The RE actually called me on Sunday morning to check up on me, and I wasn't doing so well...I was still filling up with fluid, and was extremely uncomfortable (and I looked about six months pregnant), so he told me to come in for an ultrasound on Monday (the transfer day) at the office first. Well, at that point I could hardly walk or stand up straight, and couldn't breathe, so they sent me to the clinic as an emergency. Had to have another IV and was rushed into the OR, where they knocked me out and drained a liter of fluid out of my abdomen.

They were able to complete the transfer, so I had two lovely three-day embryos put back in to (hopefully) nest for awhile. I was still bloated, and started to fill up with fluid again, but thankfully it started to go down by Thursday. I definitely looked pregnant--I actually had to go out and buy maternity pants because my own were not fitting--but by Sunday I was only a few pounds above what I normally am.

So, that's about it-it was, most assuredly, a scary time, and now we're in the dreaded "two week wait". At least one week was spent worrying about whether or not they'd have to deflate me, so I couldn't obsess about whether or not I was pregnant. I can't say the same for this week, however.....

No comments: