Tuesday, July 26, 2005

And the winner is......

Here's the outcome of my callback for "The Pirates of Penzance" (or, as I lovingly call it-"Pirates in my Pants").....

I showed up for the callback, get my number (163) and pin it on my shirt, and wait. and wait. and wait.

Auditions are all about waiting. There's a funny dynamic in there-it's a psychoanalyst's dream situation. People are having mini-freakouts, or trying to name-drop so you can know how "important" and "talented" they are. I tend to bring a book or magazine and just read, and not bother with anyone-it's easier that way.

I finally go in to sing, and I didn't do that well. I ended up having to sight read the piece, since I don't know the show all that well. I was pissed off at myself, because I am usually much more prepared and didn't have the time, and went home to sulk. I am not even home a half-hour and the phone rings-it's the theatre. Oh, shit, I think, I'm cut.

I got the part. THE LEAD. HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT.

If you're not a theatrical/singer type person, the role of Mabel is a BIG deal. HUGE deal. It's a really difficult part to sing, and Gilbert and Sullivan operetta's are horribly complicated to sing, but fun as hell.

Wow-I guess it goes to show you that things aren't always what you perceive them to be.

P.S. I got a "peak" on my handy-dandy ClearPlan monitor yesterday and today-life can't get better than this!

No comments: