Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Why Doctors Suck Ass

Since I'm in fertility limbo right now, at least until Friday, when I go for bloodwork and the dildocam, I decided to post why I think doctors, or, more specifically, their office staff, suck such moose ass.

Poor Sean (and yes, that's what my dad calls him-"Poor Sean", like it's his first name or something ie. "How's Poor Sean? Did you feed Poor Sean tonight?") has really nasty allergies-primarily dust, but also to animals, which is why, when I get pissed off at him, I "forget" to vacuum up the amounts of kitty hair that accumulates about the house (yeah, I know, I'm such a bitch). Since Poor Sean happens to work in a warehouse that has dust, he's pretty miserable most of the time, with nasty congestion and wheezing, which means that he needs a shot of his inhaler. Now, his primary doc knows that he has allergy issues (he prescribed the inhaler), and therefore prescribed allergy pills for him-at first it was Allegra. Well, they did jack shit for him, since he also needed a decongestant, so he asked for something with that in it, and they gave him Allegra-D. Sean hates dealing with the office staff-in his opinion, they're pretty brusque and like to rush you off the phone, and he gets agita every time he has to call them. Well.... they prescribe this medication for him last month and don't add refills to it, so, when he ran out of pills, he had to call the office to have them call another prescription in (which he can only do on either his lunch hour or his break, otherwise he has no access to a phone). He calls them at Friday lunchtime and they actually told him (lazy bitches) that unless he gave them the phone number of the pharmacy they couldn't call it in, and they can't look it up (which STILL pisses me off), so he'd have to call back with the pharmacy phone number, which he did, assuming that they called in the prescription that afternoon.

Sunday rolls around and he calls the local Walgreens to find that there's no prescription for him there-not good, especially as this is the third time that this has happened, and he has no pills left. He calls the office Monday and is told that they did call it in, and they'll do it again-of course, you need to imagine the snippy attitude. So, he calls me and bitches, and I have to put on my Italian psycho-hosebeast hat and call the office myself, because he forgets (in his annoyance) to remind them to put refills on it. The office had the balls to tell me that their policy is not to give refills on the Allegra-D, because it is not used every day. Says who? I told her that my husband uses it every day and that it was absurd not to prescribe it with refills, especially since it's obvious that the office staff is not competent enough to call a prescription in to a pharmacy and patients have to go through such a hassle to get a new one every month. Well, she didn't like that and started giving me attitude-not a good thing, because I started ripping the c*nt a new asshole on the phone (and in the middle of a packed teacher's room at lunchtime), called them a bunch of lazy morons, filed a complaint with the insurance company, and have begun to look for a new doc for Sean, which is a shame because he actually likes and feels comfortable the doctor. The killer of this whole snit is that Sean requested that the doctor personally call him back, and we're still waiting for that phonecall-nice, huh?

Now, I am not going to put out the broad blanket-statement that all office staff for every doctor sucks, because that isn't true-I have been lucky, so far, to have been treated courteously and respectfully by any doctor I've seen, but I just don't get it-I mean working in a doctor's office can be a thankless job, not the best paying job, I'm sure, but it's still a customer service type position. If these people were working in any other job, they'd be fired, so why are they allowed to get away with this shit?

Doctor's office staff, beware-acting like incompetent fuck-ups and throwing your snotty attitudes around does not win friends and influence people, especially hormonally psychotic people such as myself. Lucky for them that this didn't happen next week when I'll be in the throes of Lupron hell, or I couldn't be responsible for what might have happened......

1 comment:

cat said...

doctors assistants do suck ass. from my ob/gyn to my primary dr. they are all lying bitches! good luck finding a new dr. for poor sean. :)